Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shaken--and Stirred


        "A true literary work, no matter with its genre, is one that makes us see the world or ourselves in a new way.  Most writers accomplish this through an imaginative and original use of language, which is why literature has been defined as writing that needs to be read (at least) twice.  Great books tend to feel strange.  They leave us uncomfortable.  They make us turn their pages slowly.  We are left shaken and stirred."

--from Michael Dirda's Bound to Please: An Extraordinary One-Volume Literary Education

5 comments:

  1. Fun post! I remember this book annoying me, but I do love Dirda's Classics for Pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've become a huge Dirda fan recently--especially loving his memoir AN OPEN BOOK. Not every essay of his works for me, but I love his personal but rigorous review style. I hope to talk about some of his books in more detail soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I've never heard of Dirda before, but I completely agree with his sentiment...and I've been using the shaken & stirred metaphor for *years* when referring to really great fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also a Dirda fan, and love this quote. And the photo, And the way my mind trails off to beverages, Bond and back to Your Face Tomorrow of which I will return to shortly in volume two. See where you have pointed me?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...