Monday, February 14, 2011

For You, Dear Slow Plot-Driven Reader*

Valentine's Day scones
Scones, made by my partner David

Sonnet XVII

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

--Pablo Neruda

read at our wedding celebration


*  "Slow Plot-Driven Reader" is a frequent commentator on this blog--and someone who has put up with my book obsession for nearly twenty years in real life (even through several household moves and all that entails for bibliophiles).  I can think of no other reader with whom I'd rather spend time reading and talking about books.

7 comments:

  1. the scones look wonderful--whole grain and oat? or just perfectly cooked? (or both!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OfTroy: Both! How did you guess? We love the recipe in Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe for oat bran scones and this is just a slight variation on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pablo Neruda, that's lovely. I also have a fellow bibliophile husband who shares my excessive reading and book buying habits and I love talking with him about books, we like different things but taking the time to listen to each other has broadened both of us. Now I'm off to go to the beach and some bookshops with him today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that poem. And what a lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks for sharing :) I love that poem. It is so unique & untypical that it speaks truthfully to me about love. Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...