Monday, December 13, 2010

The Uncommon Reader

The Uncommon Reader: A Novella Alan Bennett's little book The Uncommon Reader is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.  While you're reading this gentle novella, you might enjoy a cup of tea and a plate of watercress sandwiches. 

The story begins as the Queen of England is walking her corgis.  Her adventuresome dogs pull her into a bookmobile parked outside the palace.  Not wanting to be rude, she checks out a book--out of a sense of obligation rather than true interest.  She returns that book and borrows another--Nancy Mitford's The Pursuit of Love.  This second book turns the Queen into a passionate reader--that is, a Reader--who seeks out more and more books.

At first, the Queen is guided in her reading by her young kitchen assistant who soon becomes her amanuensis.  Because of his own interests, he steers her subtly to gay authors.  Some of the palace staff question whether this is appropriate and are curious if she even recognizes what she is reading.  Although some might feel this detail is little more than amusing, it highlights the disconnect between her vast experience of the world and her everyday sheltered life.

Although the Queen's life continues to be removed from the world around her, reading teaches her that this is not the whole story.  She discovers that "books did not defer.  All readers were equal."  The Queen is finally able to imagine being normal: the experience of reading is available to all and therefore "it was anonymous; it was shared; it was common."

Soon she becomes as obsessed about reading as any book blogger could be.  She neglects her duties and abandons her fastidiousness in order to cram in a few more pages.  My favorite fictional image of the fictional Queen is her waving to the gathered throngs from her carriage, all the while looking down at the pages in her lap. Apparently the current Queen has not discovered that strategy yet.

Not Reading But Waving

The palace assistants become concerned about the Queen's new obsession and try to nip it in the bud.  After she tucks her book under the carriage cushions while she attends a function, the assistants remove the book.  When she asks where it is, the assistants respond that it was a matter of security: sniffer dogs had confiscated it and the book had probably been exploded. 

"'Exploded?' said the Queen. 'But it was Anita Brookner.'"

Although the Queen's reading tastes are broad, she does have her limits. When people tell her they are reading Harry Potter,  she responds in her beautifully superior way, "Yes.  One is saving that for a rainy day."

Reading opens up a whole new perspective for the Queen on human nature, on relationships, and on emotion. The novels she consumes transform her and humanize her--and eventually give her a voice of her own. "Books have enriched my life in a way that one could never have expected.  But books can only take one so far," says the Queen, "and now I think it is time that from being a reader I become, or try to become, a writer."

*  *  *

I discovered this charming book after reading Thomas's review on My Porch.  Check out his blog if you do not know it already.  I especially love his discussion of whether or not there are American cozies.  Thanks, Thomas!  Also check out Teresa's post on Shelf Love.  She listened to the audiobook, read by the author.  I very much enjoyed the discussion in the comments after her post as well.

26 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed this. It is a wonderful little book. I'm now wanting a hard copy so I can revisit some of my favorite moments and pick out some favorite quotes. (That's the disadvantage of audio.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a great Alan Bennett fan but I may have to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Teresa's review on Shelf Love that got me excited about this book, and I got the audio right away. Haven't listened to it yet because I've spent the last month listening to Lolita (still have at least an hour to go on it) but I'll get there eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa: I read a library copy, and then bought a copy to give to my mother for the holidays. But I'm thinking about "forgetting" to give it to her and keeping it all for myself!

    Falaise: It is a very short read and if you hate it, you won't have wasted much time. I haven't read any other Bennett, so I'm afraid I can't tell you if it is similar to his other works. (Anybody else know?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda: It is a perfect little read/listen for the holidays. Such an uplifting book. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Certainly sounds like a charming book, thanks for the heads up. I love books about books, I'm glad it's a quick read and I'm sure a very interesting subject. Are all the books within the books real?

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. Even the queen seems like the current queen--although clearly the story is completely fictional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot explain why this is, but I definitely only read half of The Uncommon Reader. I don't remember disliking it. Maybe it was due back at the library? But it's so short...I would have just finished it! I should find a copy and finish it. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin: While I think most people would like the book, it is especially nice for voracious readers who will completely identify with some of the Queen's feelings. There is a nice little turn at the end, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I hadn't totally clicked with the reviews I'd read of this, but the fact that you include dialogue snippets really sold me on it. The one about Anita Brookner! I'll have to hunt this down, either on audio or in print form. Sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed so hard at the Brookner line! The whole book is sweet and gentle--and also full of some wonderful comments about being a reader that I'm sure you will identify with. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so delighted you enjoyed this - I loved it when I read it! It was recommended to me when I was in a reading slump, and it was the perfect book to get me out of it. And I love it when you describe the queen 'as obsessed about reading as any book blogger could be' - so true!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Alan Bennett. It's weird how little I've ever thought of the queen as a human being, living in England.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Slow, Plot-Driven ReaderDecember 13, 2010

    I thoroughly enjoued this book. Even the way it fit in my hands. It says something about an author when he captures both the interest of both the voracious, intellectual reader and the the slow, plot-driven reader in the family. I've continued to play with his observation that the Queen, from her rather extreme social position, the situational/contextual framing of Jane Austen's novels would make them rather opaque and uninteresting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Litlove: It makes so much sense that this book would be a wonderful way to emerge from a reading slump. It does such a lovely job at reminding us how magical reading can be.

    Ben: That is so true! Maybe that is why I didn't mind that she was being made into a character with a completely fictitious life. I thought that might bother the historian in me, but it didn't at all.

    Slow Plot: You know, even though you say you are a slow plot-driven reader, you have an uncanny ability to pull out some of the most interesting parts in literature and art. I think the insight into the Queen's blindness to social divisions among those beneath her is one of the most fascinating elements in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked this book a lot also-I thought it was somewhat flawed by a needless x rated remark by one of the minor characters-I posted on it and another book you might like 84, Charing Cross Road

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes--that line kind of stuck out, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was one of my favorite books last year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really liked this one too. It was a fun way to picture the queen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa: It is wonderful, isn't it? I love reading short books that I know I will be referring to years from now.

    Avid: Wouldn't it be nice if a figure as public as the Queen really loved books and reading so much?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ι think the aԁmin of this web site iѕ in fact
    workіng hard for his wеb sitе, as heгe every informatіon is qualitу baseԁ infoгmation.


    Feel free to visit my site Buy Silk'N Sensepil

    ReplyDelete
  22. My brother ѕuggested I woulԁ possibly like thіs ωebsite.
    He was еntirelу гight. Тhiѕ submit truly
    maԁe my daу. Yοu cann't believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

    My web blog: v2 cigs reviews

    ReplyDelete
  23. magnificent put up, verу informatіve.
    I ωondеr why thе other expeгts of thіs sеctοr don't notice this. You must proceed your writing. I am confident, you've a great readerѕ' base already!

    my webpage; cei.inf.ufpr.br

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ηi there i am κavin, its my first time to соmmеnting anуwhere,
    when i rеаd this post i thought i could аlso makе сomment ԁue tо this brilliant pieсе
    οf writing.

    Also vіѕit my webpage - mouse click the following article

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello there! I κnoω this is kinԁ of
    off topіc but I was wondering whiсh blog plаtfοrm are you uѕing for this ѕite?
    I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've hаd
    problems with hackеrѕ аnd I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Also visit my homepage; More Support

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have lеarn a feω good stuff hеre.
    Definitelу рrice bοokmarkіng for rеvisiting.
    I surprisе how so much аttеmpt yоu put to make
    any such eхcеllent infогmatiνe ѕіte.


    Нere is my web ѕite ... V2 Cigs Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...